Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I need to blog more often...

... according to her royal Bronness. I will try, but I prefer to do it every few days so as to be sure of having lots of fun things to talk about. Still, what Bron wants... You may remember I mentioned some posts ago about her taking over the flat. I was not kidding. Her insidious influence tendrils through the very fabric our dwelling, bending all to her maniacal will. We have left it too late. We are powerless to deny or defy her.

Just kidding. We're still the best of friends.

Anyhoo, Bradford on Friday was much fun. I am starting to really enjoy my residency there, as are the audience, many of whom are coming every week. I've got a good rapport going on with several of them, one of whom has the ever so slightly masochistic tendency to sit at the front every month. I, like a doofus, always forget this and get talking to him every time. This month, when I asked what he did for a living, he actually said, "You know, you've asked me loads of times before", which got a big laugh. I stopped, then shouted after a short pause, "STUDENT RADIOGRAPHER", the correct answer, which got a round of applause! A fun moment, but I doubt I will forget again.

A fun Saturday night as we went for a curry and then on to the Comedy Store to celebrate Chris' birthday. He's hit 30, bless him. I didn't get him a card or anything and feel a bit bad now. Still, I suppose he'll get over it (oh the guilt...)

The night was very jolly as we were joined by freinds Daisy and Derek and, it seemed, the best part of Chris' family who made the trip up to see him. I do have pictures, but her ladyship is not around to show me how to upload them (apologies for being a bit of a technophobe, but it's a wonder I can tie my own shoes). I might try to get them on later, because I wore my new purple jacket and looked and felt a million bucks. I sense your doubt, but I have pictures, I can prove it. I looked like Jack the Biscuit.

Whoever he is.

On Sunday I compered a lovely gig in Sunderland. The fact that the locals were friendly was a huge relief as the first thing to greet me as I bounded enthusiastically off the train were some chavvy kids shouting, "LONG HAIR! HA HA HA! LONG HAIR!". Jesus, I thought, how backwards is it here? A false start, as it turned out, as the night was great fun with a table of three IT workers who I told a joke to in binary code (the punchline was, "010001111010000....010!"). The crowd gave a round of applause for this, before I got another laugh for pointing out that one of my stooges, who had nearly fallen of his chair, actually seemed to have got it.

I love moments like that. Little moments that exist only on that night, at that gig. Audiences know it too and nearly always react accordingly, making them a special occurrence in any performance. Another reason why I love what I do.

Not everyone is so appreciative though, as a dull Monday sat vainly googling my own name uncovered. I found a stinking review of me, just from someone else's blog but a corker all the same. What is curious is that I did very well at the gig in question (although that fact is curiously omitted), bringing to mind a glorious image of him sat with a distasteful look on his face, scribbling contemptfully into his notepad as the people around him fell about laughing.

Still, he's entitled to his opinion, I suppose. And on that note (and a link to the forementioned) I will leave you. Enjoy.

Peace. X

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Hi Ben

I'm the c*nt. Thought you might like to know I've responded to your thread on the Manchester Comedy Forum (diplomatically rather than combatively, I hope).

Cheers

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home