Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Protesting for Free Speech...

... in Manchester last night - that's right, yours truly was getting political on yo' ass. Last night was the first night of Jerry Springer - The Opera in Manchester last night and rumour was that Christian Voice would turn up to try and spoil the party, so a bunch of comics and writers, myself included, turned up to do a counter protest outside the theatre.

We numbered about 16 and were waving banners saying such things as, "Free Speech - I'm a Believer!", "Down with Protests", and my personal favourite, "For one night only - Much Ado about NOTHING!". Only about 8 Christian protesters turned up in the end, which was a bit of a shame, but we still gave it our all, singing and chanting and having a laugh. We were almost universally applauded by the punters queueing to get in, with the exception of one spectacular fuckwit who, in a textbook example of missing the bleeding point, saw fit to scream, "EVER HEARD OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH?". What was really lovely was having two of the crew from the show walk past and say, "If only there were more people like you", to us. There were news cameras and reporters there too, and we managed to make the papers and radio. Check this out.

I did feel a bit bad for some of the Christian supporters, to be honest. We found out that they were not Christian Voice as we thought, just local believers. One girl had hand written 300 postcards to distribute among the crowd. I went a bit far jeering at them to be honest - after the show had started, I bellowed, "How many people did you stop going in? How many minds did you change?". When one of them shrugged, I shouted, "You've wasted your time!". Whether or not I agree with their protest, they have the right to make it and I was in danger of crushing just what I sought to protect.

Still, it's only a show. Get over it, losers.

Well, what have I been up to... the improv workshop on Friday was a great success. What was I worrying about? (thinks - phew I got away with that) It was a bit weird having a load of school kids calling me "sir", though. My dad is a teacher and it was one of those unsettling "I'm turning into my father" moments. Still, I'm now a fully fledged member of ComedySportz, Bron's improv troupe. Check out my website (www.clik.to/benschofield) and look on the news page for the link to their website.

On Friday evening I did two gigs in London, one in East Dulwich to 20 or so youths with their icy, judgemental stares (it actually turned out ot be quite a nice gig) and one to two or three hundred pissheads at the Comedy Store's late show. The gig went well, I think. It was late and I was tired but I gave it my all. I'll have to wait until I see the recording. I did manage to get Rich, my mate I was staying with in London, on the guest list. He felt like Jack the Biscuit, sauntering in with a girl on each arm. The young ladies in question were hugely impressed and Rich thought he was well in. Right up to the point when one of them puked all over his jacket.

On Saturday I headlined a gig to 150 or so students at Manchester Uni, which was nice, and then spent Sunday mostly watching football. Such is my exciting life.

Off to Stoke tonight, to another student gig that several comics have reliably informed me is a notorious bear pit.

Wish me luck. Will report tomorrow.

Peace. X

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home