Thursday, March 16, 2006

A week of strange contrasts...

... especially with regards to the gigs I've done recently.

Friday in Bradford was lovely. It was actually held in the Gods bar of the Alhambra theatre, as opposed to the studio theatre next door where it is usually held. Kathy, the sound and light tech, had changed all the light bulbs to red and green ones, which gave the room a suitably bohemian, nightclub-esque vibe (good work that woman). Thanks to the Alhambra's glass facade, I could actually see the light from across Centenary Square as I walked to the gig, shining like a big showbiz beacon. The crowd was in good form too, becoming very vocal in their support of my rant in the second half about the inequities of interior design. A good time was had by all, especially comic Kevin Hayes who got into a hilariously inappropriate dialogue about religion with a Catholic lady in the crowd. It was also nice to see Dave Holmes, an old musician friend of mine, in the audience.

Apologies to Nicky - a friend of mine I used to work with in Bradford - who I said I might meet before the gig. I forgot to call her. I am a terrible person. Please forgive me. Oh, lovely love...

Saturday I went to the improv workshop in the afternoon. I need the practice, as tomorrow I am doing my first paid show as an improviser! It's a show/workshop for a load of kids in Blackpool (mustn't swear, mustn't swear...). I'm quite flattered to have been asked by Bron to participate, although I must question why. I've narrowed it down to three possibilities;

i) She genuinely feels I am talented and developed enough as an improviser to do the business.

ii) She cannot bear to be apart from me at any time.

iii) I was the only person available.

I suspect the latter.

Either way, I'm looking forward to everything about it except the early start to get to Blackpool. I've every confidence it will be fine. *

On Saturday night we went to a party to celebrate the birthday of Bron's friend Rachel. A fun time was had, but I did drink quite possibly the most foul cocktail ever concocted, as presented to me by the hostess. I then spent the next few minutes doing a delicate balancing act between concentrating on not vomiting and assuring my poisoner (sorry Rachel) that the brew in question was not in fact "fucking gorgeous" but was more akin to having one's mouth raped with an aniseed cock. We left about midnight, due to Bron's innards being uncomfortably rearranged by the bass from the music.

On Sunday night I did a college gig in Leeds, in a room more akin to warehouse space than a concert hall. Still, add a hundred or so pissed up students and it turned into quite a fun night, barring a really shit, whistling sound system. I'm rock'n'roll, sure, but I prefer to perform without feedback.

On Monday I went to the birthday do (yes, another) of Dan Nightingale, the shiny headed wonder boy of Northern stand-up. It was held at the Frog and Bucket comedy club. Frankly, I think it is a bit sad for a load of comics to go out drinking at a comedy club, but comedy is one of those industries with a strong social scene built in and in can quite easily begin to dominate one's life if left unchecked. Besides, the Frog is free in on a Monday, so maybe I should shut up complaining.

Anyway, it was fun night, featuring a motley crew of faces from the Manchester comedy scene assembled on the balcony bitching about the show (as is our want). I even treated myself to some chicken goujons and curly fries, such was the air of gleeful abandon.

Then a real tale of two gigs. Tuesday night I did a rip roaring 40 minute set to two hundred students in Cardiff, one of those joyous, life affirming gigs that reminds me why I love this job. Then last night I compered a gig in Sheffield to fifteen or so terrified looking 20-50 somethings. They were in fact nice people and the gig picked up as the night went on, but it was a little like wading through porridge in places. That's the thing with small crowds - you can never really get them on a roll in the same way that you can with a bigger crowd. The laughter from a big crowd is like waves, and you can practically surf on it, adjusting your timing to it's ebb and flow. But smaller crowds tend to laugh in short bursts, then become suddenly silent again, which makes timing hard, nigh on impossible sometimes. All you can do is smile sweetly and keep hitting them with your gags. It's like laying on a comedic buffet and inviting people to pick out the bits they like.

Yesterday day we took a trip to Liverpool to visit the Beatles museum. It was a really good day (I've seen an actually pair of round lense spectacles as worn by Lennon - worth about £1,000,000, apparently). I had to shepherd poor Bron round as the museum is full of dummies, which she is utterly terrified of, but other than that, and a brief altercation with regard to a sandwich (don't ask), it was really cool.

Today is a day off (and relax...) so I'll get some admin done. Maybe get round to putting up those Led Zep posters...

Peace. X

* God, I'm so unbelievably, mind crushingly fucking nervous. Oh shit, I swore. Oh bugger, I did it again. Crap. Bollocks. Piss. Etc...

3 Comments:

Blogger Bron said...

i) and iii)

:D

You'll be fine... just don't fuck up

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're forgiven Ben :-)

Good luck with the workshop thing!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Bron said...

he did well... aw

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home